Tuesday 23 July 2019

Feel Stuck in Your Business? Stop Trying SO Hard....


It might sound counter intuitive, but have you ever considered that trying SO HARD in your business, could actually hold you back rather than push you forward?

As a child I was always told I had to work harder than other people to get the same results. Low and behold, this is now a deeply ingrained belief that I hold (but am trying to remould!). I will literally work myself into the ground, I will try and try (and try)... until I can’t go on anymore. Then I will be forced to take a break (against my will of course) as I completely run out of steam.

In fairness, half of this is down to my obsession and passion for my businesses and the fulfilment I get from creating, achieving, expanding and growing them. But it’s equally down to the fact that I 'believe' I have to work myself into the ground, to have any chance of success.

But this is simply not true.  And this belief, always gets in my way!

Yes - you have to work hard to create a successful business. Being an entrepreneur IS hard work and requires a significant amount of drive, determination, commitment and even sacrifice. It's certainly not for everyone!

But it also requires thinking time. Time where you can simply let the ideas and inspiration flow and where you can transform thoughts and ideas into reality.  It's not all about the action you take, it is also about being creative and almost quieting your mind to allow clarity within the chaos.

When we are so consumed with action and pressuring ourselves to 'do', we are not always allowing this thinking time. Trying too hard can get us all wound up in a knot. We get caught in a vicious circle where the more we try, the more we do, the more we do, the more stressed we get and the more pressure we put on ourselves. And there never seems to be an end.

We then find ourselves spending more time working 'in' our business, rather than 'on' our business.

Taking time out every now and again, can be incredibly productive and allows you to think, contemplate, reflect and just take it all in. I find by doing this, I get to the result much quicker and with far less work as I am able to think more intuitively.  It's easy to lose sight of our own guidance when we are so heavily wrapped up in thinking and action.




So... what am I trying to say? I guess I am trying to say that taking the foot off the gas every now and again is not just O.K., but it's actually fundamental for the business and you to thrive! It's incredibly productive - even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

For me, it's often a time that solutions to problems randomly pop into my head, amazing ideas come to me and inspired thinking gets into full flow. And now make a conscious effort to allow myself this time regularly. It might be something as simple as swimming a few times a week, which is a great time to ponder a question or come up with some ideas.  Or if I've been working hard on a project that has completely taken over, at the end I will force myself to at least take a day off and just focus on having fun. It does wonders for my mind, my health and my business.

Yes we have to work hard to make our dreams a reality, but we also have to find a balance. A balance that allows us time to relax, unwind and allow that one amazing idea to come!


If you're feeling stuck-in-action or are wandering if you are trying too hard - check out these other useful articles!
  1. Inc.com: 25 Simple Ways for Entrepreneurs to Find Inspiration
  2. Inc.com: 10 Signs You Need to Stop Trying So Hard
  3. Business & Leadership: How To Succeed In Business Without Working So Damn Hard  

I'm sure this post will being a whole array of opinions - and I would love to hear them all, so please do comment, let's start a discussion and share any ideas that we can use to help each other when finding the balance between trying and achieving.


Have a great day!  😃

Laptop Lifestyle Living

No comments:

Post a Comment

STOP Using Facebook Ads - The Best Alternative Ad Platforms

Have a great day!  😃 Laptop Lifestyle Living -  Design A Life You Love! Watch us on YouTube  |  Find us on Facebook  |  Follow us...